Sunday, February 22, 2009

The cat hasn't mentioned being homesick. 

I'm sure she misses the heated bathroom floor, but she has no shortage of warm spots and willing laps. 

For us, it's more complex. We live in a small but quirky bedroom community for DC/Balto, and the town itself houses a bioscience center, which encourages a kind of cosmopolitan intellectual spin. At the same time, it's close enough to Appalachia to have an element of funk.
Houses date back to the 1800s, and sidewalks tend to be made of exceedingly wavy red brick. 

For me, once I left Texas, all bets were off. I was uprooted, and went through the pain of learning to shift my attachments and expectations. It was a sharp & painful learning curve, but now that I've got it, I'm fairly adaptable. 

I'm enjoying spending time with colleagues and making friends. I've never really been in this supportive an environment.

I'm wanting to put down roots, and see what sprouts. I'm not caring so much about where, just that I get to try it.

No comments: