Monday, February 27, 2006

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Ahh, the blog. No editors, no one to complain about Strunk and White and their Elephants of Style. Nothing looks good on an elephant anyway. Okay, maybe those spangled head-dress thingies, but you won't see one modelling Chanel or D&G anytime soon.

This is my place to lay open problems I see, things that bug me, funny stories, insanities mild and major.

I do not intend to pull any punches, in fact I intend to land quite a few.
I intend to exercise the rights delineated above to the fullest and widest of their extent.
If I am going to pay the price for being an American, I am damn sure going to enjoy the privileges, as long as the Patriot act has not entirely gelded this Bill of Rights concept we had in the beginning.

I understand that our Pres has instituted "Free Speech Zones" at his various functions.
http://www.amconmag.com/12_15_03/feature.html
http://baltimorechronicle.com/052704FreeSpeechZones.shtml
http://www.aclu.org//freespeech/protest/11423prs20030923.html
http://www.reason.com/links/links020504.shtml

The other George, the late Mr Orwell, was more right than we ever cared to believe. And we are just lying down like farm animals waiting for the steel bar to shoot through our brains so that we can be cut apart and used up.

Who cares about all this stupid civil rights stuff, if your Starbucks stock is doing well?
Um, those of us who cannot afford to buy it?

I honestly don't feel like I have any opportunity to be heard in my government, and as I am over here in Germany, serving my country to the best of my (civilian) ability, I am too removed, both physically and financially, from any influence over the happenings back home. I have to register by mail for Every Single Election.

I intend to have fun, to enjoy writing, and to do some research to support my points, which I will share with you if you have the time and patience.

No comments: